The estate formerly belonged to and had been in the Jalland family since 1830. It was made up of 130 acres and was situated on one of the main routes of the city, Holderness Road. East Park was within 5 minutes walking distance and so were the places of worship, public baths and public library associated with the Reckitt name. Although the village was within the city and centrally situated in relation to business centres it was beautifully open and it was thought it would have a rural feeling as the tress developed.
Initially James Reckitt spent a sum of £100,000 on Garden Village with further expenditure later. It was designed by local architects Runton and Barry. 600 houses were developed in phases between 1907 and 1913.